The PhD course in Information Technologies for Engineering (ITE) aims at deepening theoretical and practical aspects of information technologies and applying them to develop applications in a number of domains under the guidance of experts. The course is characterized by a variety of teaching and research topics, often related to on-going national or European research projects, promoted by the researchers of the Department of Engineering of the University of Sannio.
We aim at educating researchers with a sound scientific background and a specific culture of design in different areas of application, with an interdisciplinary approach and a vision towards the creation of new solutions.
This will enable the conception and development of innovative solutions and investigation methodologies, a basis to perform advanced research in public and private enterprises with scientific and technical competence, and a managerial attitude.
The education is directed to the acquisition of methodological, technological, theoretical and experimental tools, either traditional or innovative, to be utilized for modelling, designing, prototyping/simulation and testing of information technologies and their applications to complex information, mechanical, energy, electrical systems and civil work in a natural or anthropic environment.
The objective is also to stimulate the development of a spirit of entrepreneurship.
The education will be complemented with international exchanges or internships at public or private research labs.
The course comprises two curricula, Information Technologies and Energy and Environment.
A PhD in ITE offers a wide range of job opportunities based on the capabilities, acquired during the course, to manage research activities, write high-quality scientific and technical reports, develop practical results, collaborate within workgroups in national or international partnerships, with a good knowledge of the English language, written and spoken.
Students that graduated in ITE at Università del Sannio will be fit for employment in both private and public institutions. Just as an example, five Engineering Schools and a number of Research laboratories of CNR, ENEA, INFN, and other government research agencies operate in the Campania Region. There exist a number of local employment opportunities as postdocs in research and teaching activities. More broadly, our alumni were able to find prestigious academic and industrial positions both in Europe and in the US.
The doctors graduated in our Ph.D. program will be able to find jobs in public and private centers, which products and services are related to information technology, or can be developed in efficiently, effectively, and with high sustainability by leveraging such pieces of technology. The doctors will contribute to the research, innovation, and technological transfer in different fields, including:
- Design and management of software systems, cyber-physical systems, distributed systems;
- Network and application security;
- Modeling, simulation, and design of antennas, wireless and cabled links, and microwave devices;
- Modeling and prototyping of systems for electrical measurements in telecommunication, aerospace, biomedical systems, and industrial manufacturing;
- Design and simulation of sensors and systems for the acquisition and processing of satellite data;
- Industrial process automation;
- Management and planning of energy and electrical resources (on a local, national and international scale);
- Modeling, simulation, and design of systems for energy conversion and management;
- Simulation and design of chemical plants and combustion processes;
- Modeling and analysis of complex components and innovative materials in areas such as automotive, aerospace, railways, biomedical systems, telecommunications, and civil engineering;
- Computer-assisted design in civil engineering;
- Simulation of structures and systems subjects to dynamic stress.
Prospective students who graduated abroad must own one of the following degrees: Master degree or equivalent degree in Computer Science, Biomedical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Software Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Energy Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Mathematics, Physics, Material Science.
Prospective students graduated in Italy must own one of the following degrees (Laurea Magistrale):
- LM-4 Lauree Magistrali in Architettura e Ingegneria Edile-Architettura
- LM-6 Biologia
- LM-7 Biotecnologie agrarie
- LM-8 Biotecnologie industriali
- LM-9 Biotecnologie mediche, veterinarie e farmaceutiche
- LM-17 Fisica
- LM-18 Informatica
- LM-20 Ingegneria aerospaziale e astronautica
- LM-21 Ingegneria biomedica
- LM-22 Ingegneria chimica
- LM-23 Ingegneria civile
- LM-24 Ingegneria dei sistemi edilizi
- LM-25 Ingegneria dell'automazione
- LM-26 Ingegneria della sicurezza
- LM-27 Ingegneria delle telecomunicazioni
- LM-28 Ingegneria elettrica
- LM-29 Ingegneria elettronica
- LM-30 Ingegneria energetica e nucleare
- LM-31 Ingegneria gestionale
- LM-32 Ingegneria informatica
- LM-33 Ingegneria meccanica
- LM-34 Ingegneria navale
- LM-35 Ingegneria per l'ambiente e il territorio
- LM-40 Matematica
- LM-44 Modellistica matematico-fisica per l'ingegneria
- LM-53 Scienza e ingegneria dei materiali
- LM-54 Scienze chimiche
- LM-66 Sicurezza informatica
- LM-91 Tecniche e metodi per la società dell'informazione
Or else, one of the following "Laurea specialistica":
- 4/S (specialistiche in architettura e ingegneria edile)
- 20/S (specialistiche in fisica)
- 23/S (specialistiche in informatica)
- 25/S (specialistiche in ingegneria aerospaziale e astronautica)
- 26/S (specialistiche in ingegneria biomedica)
- 27/S (specialistiche in ingegneria chimica)
- 28/S (specialistiche in ingegneria civile)
- 29/S (specialistiche in ingegneria dell'automazione)
- 30/S (specialistiche in ingegneria delle telecomunicazioni)
- 31/S (specialistiche in ingegneria elettrica)
- 32/S (specialistiche in ingegneria elettronica)
- 33/S (specialistiche in ingegneria energetica e nucleare)
- 34/S (specialistiche in ingegneria gestionale)
- 35/S (specialistiche in ingegneria informatica)
- 36/S (specialistiche in ingegneria meccanica)
- 37/S (specialistiche in ingegneria navale)
- 38/S (specialistiche in ingegneria per l'ambiente e il territorio)
- 45/S (specialistiche in matematica)
- 50/S (specialistiche in modellistica matematico-fisica per l'ingegneria)
- 61/S (specialistiche in scienza e ingegneria dei materiali)
- 62/S (specialistiche in scienze chimiche)
- 100/S (specialistiche in tecniche e metodi per la società dell’informazione)
Or else, equivalent degrees obtained using the laws before D.M. 509/99.
Students are admitted to the final exams on the basis of:
- their three-year curriculum,
- a 40' presentation of their work,
- the reviewers’ comments.
Detailed Information of Final Test are in Manifesto - Study Plan